Wednesday, July 6, 2011

How To Prepare Your Home & Family for Vacation

Having detailed check lists keeps Laura Wittmann sane when she's getting ready to leave for vacation. Wittman, a mother of three who calls herself "an addict of all things organizing," writes the "I'm an Organizing Junkie" blog and is the author of Clutter Rehab: 101. She talks with USA TODAY's Janice Lloyd about the smoothest way to get out the door for a well-deserved break.

Q: There are a zillion things to do from shutting down the house to packing everyone's clothes. What is the answer?
A: Mental clutter is bad news. I'd be lost without lists. I even have a notebook for my lists. I use a 5-by-7-inch notebook that has 23 lines per page and I carry it around in my purse or leave it beside the computer. I write down every single task that is taking up space in my head. The trick to this brain dump is listing tasks in detail. For instance, don't write down "'clean out the refrigerator before vacation," but list the foods to use up in the refrigerator and the freezer. The more detailed I am, the less stressful it is. Everything is going so quickly when you're trying to get out the door on vacation. I don't leave anything up to memory.

Q: What is one job you knock off the list far in advance of vacation?
A: We adopted a puppy in December, so I had to break down the details of finding a kennel. I got on the Internet and made a list of kennels. We started interviewing and knocked a couple off the list right away. Then I had to visit kennels. It's a process, and it does take time, so I recommend starting that as early as possible. I started three months out on that task.You don't want to have to worry about your pet.

Q: What kind of lists do you leave for the person checking on your house?

A: I leave a list on the kitchen counter. Again, detail and specific tasks are important. Don't write "go around the house and water plants." I put the small plants in the kitchen so it is easy for someone to water them. I'll put those plants on the list and I'll also note, "There is a big plant in the master bedroom. Water that." And I'll gather the outdoor plants in one place and add: "Water the outdoor plants on the side of the house."

Q: Do you have jobs listed for family members
?
A: The whole family is going on vacation so the whole family helps us get ready to go. I'm very specific with tasks. I don't just say, "You need to clean up." I'll say, "You're on toy duty, and all the toys need to be taken inside and put away." The kids are pretty good about it. As long as they know what they're supposed to be doing, it is easy for them to succeed.

Q: How do you prioritize cleaning jobs?
A: Cleaning out the refrigerator is important. The night before we go on vacation I'll have a leftover buffet. I'm a menu planner, so I will have based my weekly menu on food from the freezer because I always worry about the freezer going out when we're away. You do not want to spend a lot of money on food before you go on vacation, anyway, so that saves you a little bit of money to put toward your trip. I don't go around and clean the house before we go. We head out around 6 or 7 in the morning, and there's no time to change sheets and wash them. We have a regular routine for that, anyway.

Q: What else would you tell people to add to their check list?

A: It's important to check with your insurance carrier. Make sure you're following their guidelines while you're on vacation. Some carriers want people to come in several days a week while you're gone, even on two-week vacations. You don't want to find out after something happens that you're not covered. Also, unplug as many small appliances as possible to save electricity.

Q : Is there a list of things to do when you get home?
A: Hah. Not necessarily, but if you followed the list before you went away, one of the last things you did was take out the garbage. No one wants to come home and find garbage in the kitchen.

By Janice Lloyd, USA Today

For comfortable, versatile resort wear shop Avenue Verde

No comments:

Post a Comment